Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pomp and Circumstance


Today was graduation at the junior high level. In Japan, the school year runs from April to March, so I will actually be finishing up the first semester when I depart in July. Both of my junior highs had their respective graduations today, so unfortunately I could only go to one. And, I also didn't have a choice in the matter. I guess last year my predecessor went to Miyahara's graduation, so this year I was told that I would be going to Katayama's.
I put on a suit for the first time in 7 months and headed out to school. I hobnobbed with the other well-dressed teachers for a few minutes before heading up to the gym. Everyone commented on how nice I looked, which is either a compliment or a nice way of telling me I should dress better.


This school's graduation seemed to be the exact opposite of my graduation experiences. The students names are called first (after a little introduction and then the singing of the beautiful national anthem Kimigayo). Then there were three long (boring) speeches by the principal, the head of the Kure Board of Education, a representative of the mayor's office, and the chairman of the PTA. From what I could gather, they all said relatively the same things. In Japan, at formal occasions, speakers are selected for their importance without any regard for the revelance of what they are going to say (or how good of a speaker they might be). So the speeches were a drag, but then the students sang some beautiful songs that had half of them crying and then there were two more speeches; one by the outgoing student body president and one by the representative of the kohai (underclassmen). These two speeches were warm, touching, and accompanied by a piano. During the speeches, most of the students began to cry (some quite heavily) as they pondered the end of their time together. At least four or five of the teachers joined them.

Once the speeches were done, there was one final bow, the final singing of the school song, and then the students marched out. So many, both boys and girls, were weeping. It was really touching and I could see that many of the teachers were moved.
After the ceremony, I mingled with the students, posed for a lot of pictures, and then had lunch with the teachers. Tonight, I'll meet up with the teachers for a graduation party. They're a fun group, so it should be a good time. More on that later.

2 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Peter:
We have received your letter and red envelope from Judy. We sent an e-mail to you,did you receive it? Hope can see you soon.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Peter:
We have received your letter and red envelope from Judy. We sent an e-mail to you,did you receive it? Hope can see you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home