Sunday, October 02, 2005

Travel in Japan (Part I)

I have had the chance to explore a little bit. Several weeks ago, some friends and I went to the island of Shikoku, the smallest of Japan's four main islands. It was absolutely lovely. While there, we saw an old castle and the adjoining garden, both several hundred years old. We also went to a hot springs resort called Dogo, which was first established in the 1300s. The hot springs building we bathed in was about 400 years old itself. My friend Brandon and I went by ourselves because we couldn't convince our other two friends to bathe naked in the presence of others. It was a bit strange at first but eventually felt quite normal. First we changed into yukatas (Japanese robes) and then took showers and then slid into the hottest damn bath I've ever taken. It was very refreshing but I had to get out every 10 minutes to douse myself with cool water.
That evening, we stayed a cheap hotel with a tatami room and futon mats. We spent the evening goofing around, watching TV, and chatting in our yukatas. In the morning, after regaling Melody and Rome of tales of how wonderful it was, Brandon and I convinced them to come with us to a different hot springs. This one was new and is apparently only attended bypeople over the age of 80. Imagine three fairly hairy Western men in a room with 50+ naked Japanese octagenarians. There was quite a bit of staring in my direction. For my part, I kept trying to find a place on the wall on which I could fix my eyes that wouldn't be occupied by either old-man ass or old-man penis. I was only moderately successful and have had my fill of seeing old-man penis for this lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home